Friday, March 09, 2007

The real journey begins...

So after over a decade of marriage, and half a decade of wanting to adopt as our only choice, we are now finally proud parents to twins.. Yes, TWINS!
Last month we got a call that we had been chosen, and that she was expecting a boy and a girl, oh yes, and that she was having contractions!
13 days later she gave birth to two of the most amazingly adorable and perfect babies I've ever laid eyes on...

All the things I used to be ready for, and "want" changed... I wanted to be for the most part away from the hospital experience.. But as it ended up, we were the only parents w/ the children while they were in the hospital because they were in a different one that had a NICU in it, over 2 hours away.. That broke my heart that thier mother would not be able to be with them during that time, but she was firm in not wanting to go, and so we honored her and went to be with them...
I guess that got me out of having to go thru all the emotions of seeing her have to physically give up her children to us, but its still not the ideal thing I had hoped for... What is really ideal really anyway, I guess...

We have kept in contact online mostly, and she loves to hear updates about how the little ones are doing.. I know she loves them both so much.

The twins are now just over 2 weeks old, and growing like crazy! They were born over a month premature, so they are still very small, but I am seeing the changes as they inhale thier little bottles :)

I heard a lady tell me that being an adoptive mother felt "wierd" at times... Her daughter is a bit older, so I dont think Im there quite yet.. For me, right now... Things just feel natural for some reason, its really hard to describe. My love for the twins is stronger then I thought it could be this soon... I tear up sometimes when I see my new daughter being held by her daddy, he's so gentle with her, and she completely loves him its amazing! She's going to be a daddy's girl I can tell... My son on the other hand tends to snuggle best with me, and loves to just be held or talked to. A mamma's boy? Oh boy....

So this is what parenthood is?? Part of me has this wierd feeling like its not fully "real" yet.. The other part realizes its real and knows we're in store for quite the ride now! :)

Guess we'll wait and see!

No comments: