Adding to the previous conversation with my friends 9 year old.
When asked "what does Adoption mean?"
His answer was: "It means that a mom and a dad die, and the kids get a new family"
Hmmmmmmmm......
I did inform him that the twin's mom is still alive, and we have even gotten to visit her. (at this point the 9 year old was annoyed with the conversation and decided whipped cream was more interesting)
Yes, there is MORE to add to the beginning of this story, a lot more, and even after tonight I think there will be more (and for him, I think the story is going to continue for the rest of his life).
I'll leave it at that for now :)
~What does your 9 year old think adoption means (or ANY age child that is not adopted)?~
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
When we were waiting to adopt, one of our friends left her little girl to stay with us for a few hours. M. had heard her parents say we were going to adopt a baby. M.'s dad was adopted as a baby as well. Closed of course. Anyway, M. brought up "are you going to adopt a baby?" Me: "Yes, we are. Do you know what that means?" M: "Its when babies are kept in cages and you go and get them and take them home." Me: TOTAL SILENCE. I went on to give a hopefully better explaination than that, but I brought this up when mom came back to pick up M. She was totally getting adopting pets from the humane society mixed up with adopting babies. (thank goodness that was the explanation!). I really think all this adopt-a-pet, adopt-a-whatever stuff really mixes up the little kids. She was about 5 when this happened.
mama2roo.wordpress.com
8 year old Beaner: "So what if Ben's mom and dad want him back?"
Me: "uh...um.....well...., I, uh, think that if they really wanted to see him we would make sure they could see him as much as possible, and if they wanted him back we'd have to have some big long talks, huh?"
My six year old nephew -- just really started considering baby bear my daughter --- the first time he met Goldilocks he thought she had come to get her back -- he said - I thought we were going to keep her! of course we had a failed placement that kinda confused him to, and everytime we met some one he felt the need to tell people that she did not come from my tummy, however, now he doesn't - so maybe it either takes time or he is getting the concept better over the past 15 months---
Post a Comment