My friend told her two kids today. (Our friendly 9yr old boy, and her 5yr old daughter).
They now know they have a sister, and are EXCITED for it! Eyes lit up and said "Mommy, can she live with us!?" *ugh* Heart-ripping moment for my friend, but overall I think her kids took the information really well. They now know they can come and ask her about it anytime they want to.
I know this was a TON of weight off her shoulders, but at the same time brings new pains and thoughts, so please say a prayer for her, and her family. Whatever questions her kids spring on her next, I pray she will be calm and able to answer them.
(your words made a difference to her, reading my blog, and I thank you for your kind words for her).
Sunday, November 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I have a friend who discovered after her mother's death at age 86 that her mother had given *two* children up for adoption in the 1950s... a few years apart, no less. She had taken this secret to her grave, and the way my friend and her siblings discovered the truth was when a letter from one of the sibs arrived at their deceased mother's house.
Imagine that. Imagine thinking that you knew your mother all those years. Imagine discovering that you had TWO siblings out there that you had been told nothing about. Nieces. Nephews. Imagine the pain of those two adult adopted people, separated from your family, being no better than secrets.
Tell your friend that she did the right thing. She doesn't want to take this secret to her grave. She needs to be a real person in her children's eyes. The best way to tell the truth is to tell it on a child's level... not like a fairy tale, but everything you would tell an adult, with shorter sentences and shorter words. Exactly like that.
And of course her son knew the truth. Children know things. She gave her kids an inestimable gift by giving them the truth, as painful as it is. I absolutely will pray for her when I go to bed tonight.
I caught up on this story just now.
Good for your friend. I'm sure it's a weight off of her shoulders. The truth is always better.
Definite prayers for her and her family.
I too will be praying for them...
Post a Comment